Yes. We will simply file the name change paperwork along with your final divorce decree and other documents. There is also be a small filing fee for the name change that the court charges separately from the filing fee to open your divorce.  As of February 2016, the fee was $21. If your name change is not part of the Virginia divorce decree, or you wait until later to change it, you will need to file name change paperwork with the court, and attend a hearing to get the judge’s approval. It’s a little more complicated if you wait.

After your name change Order is entered by the court, you will need to go through the process of having your name changed on your accounts, credit card statements, Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport. You will also need to inform the HR department at your place of employment in order to ensure that your paychecks are made out to the correct name.