Do I Have to Go to Court for an Uncontested Divorce?

If your divorce is uncontested and you and your spouse have signed a Marital Settlement Agreement, (or Separation and Property Settlement Agreement, as it’s sometimes called) you usually will not be required to go to court. In that case, all legal documents can be filed with the court, and the Final Order of Divorce can be sent to you.

Even disputes regarding the division of property, child custody, spousal support or any other terms of the divorce do not automatically require court intervention. In many cases, they can be resolved through, mediation or third-party negotiation (such as an attorney).