Question:  My wife owned a home before we got married, but I put in a lot of  permanent improvements, such as a new bathroom and kitchen during our marriage. I paid for all of the remodeling costs, and did some of the work myself. 

We are now going through a divorce and I’m planning to move out leaving all the improvements behind. My wife claims they are all hers now. Is there any way I can be compensated for the work and money that I contributed to improving the house?  

Answer:  In this case, the increase in equity would be a marital asset, and you can ask that it be divided in the separation and settlement agreement, and divorce.